Using the andon system in Lean manufacturing will yield many benefits both in the short and long term. In the short-term, it provides:
- Visibility and transparency in the production process
- Increased productivity and efficiency
- Decreased waste
Long term benefits include:
- Reduced costs and downtime
- Enhanced value to the customer because of better quality products
- Responsible operators who are accountable for the line running as efficiently and effectively as possible– empowering them to take action when problems arise, rather than waiting for management, etc.
- Long term improvements to production process
Like most principles in Lean manufacturing, the andon cord itself doesn’t add value. Likewise, if action isn’t taken immediately when the system is alerted, it defeats the purpose and can actually detract from the value you are aiming for.